During my most recent trip to Thailand, I had the privilege of learning how to cook some of Thailand’s traditional dishes. Of course, this included my favourite; Thai Papaya Salad.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy was so gracious to welcome me into their kitchen and teach me how to cook their country’s dishes. Thai Cuisine is, most definitely, in the top three of my favourite cuisines in the world. So being welcomed by one of the country’s top cooking school was such a dream come true! Again, thank you so much to Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy. You can see the full list of dishes we cooked by clicking HERE.
Anyway, back to the main event: Thai Papaya Salad.
Now this salad is actually such a sublime dish. It goes well with everything, I am telling you! If you are looking for the perfect aperetif, then look no further, because this is it! I have first tasted my first Thai Papaya Salad during my trip to Bangkok in 2015. Squatting street side in Bangkok’s Khao San Road was such a thrill for a young traveller like myself. The food was just a bonus. Long story short, I feel in love with the country and its cuisine that I knew I had to come back for more. So a few years later, I knew I had to make my favourite Thai dishes like Pad Thai, Khao Soy, Mango Sticky Rice, and Thai Papaya Salad.
So in this post, I will be teaching you, step-by-step, how to make a Thai Papaya Salad.
- String Beans
- Plum Sugar
- Fish Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Dried Shrimp (optional)
- Pound the garlic, peanuts, chili, with salt using a mortar and pestle.
- Add the dried shrimp, then continue pounding ’til the consistency is paste-like.
- Transfer everything into a large bowl, then add the plum sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Use the mortar and pestle to slightly crush both tomatoes and string beans, then add them to the bowl, and mix them together.
- Shred the green papaya, then add them to the bowl.
- Toss everything together, and season lightly.
- If everything tastes well, put everything in a serving bowl then sprinkle with dried crushed peanuts.
I hope you guys will try making this at home. Whenever you are craving for a salad that is super easy to make, remember to run to our trust friend, Thai Papaya Salad!
Have a great rest of your week, friends! Blessings!
“But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
Matthew 5:44 NIV