A few days ago I had a sudden urge to eat pancakes and apple pie. But where? I was in the middle of Mexico City, and I do not think that I could get it really good in this part of the world. So guess what? I went to the nearest grocery store, and got myself the ingredients to make my very own pancakes with apple pie filling.
I am slowly starting to document my gastronomic adventures, and just trying to list down the ingredients more and more. Which is kind of hard, since I usually just experiment…but, oh well. Here is the first of many recipes in Dani’s Kitchen, yay!
So I am going to start by giving you the recipe for the apple pie filling:
- apples (4 pieces)
- sugar (1 1/2 cup)
- cinnamon (2 tbsp)
- water (1/2 cup)
- salt (a pinch)
Then this is how you prepare it:
- Rinse the apples, then cut it horizontally.
- Soak the apples in water with salt and lemon (depending on your choice).
- Put the water and sugar on a pan and let it boil until it browns and caramelise.
- Once the sugar and water is thick, slowly add the apples.
- Slowly stir the pan until all apples are coated with the sugar and water mixture.
- Put the cinnamon and salt, then stir.
- Cover the pan until the apples are soft.
- Keep stirring.
- Once the apples are soft and cooked, turn of the heat.
- Put in a cup whilst it is still warm, then prepare the pancakes.
So then we prepare the pancakes. I mean, do you see how fluffy that is? Honestly, I was pretty pleased with myself once I saw the outcome. Like, woah? I made these fluffy things? Ha!
But anyway, here are the ingredients:
- corn flour (3 cups)
- eggs (3 eggs)
- salt (1 tbsp)
- sugar (1/2 cup)
- cinammon (3 tbsp)
- vanilla (2 tbsp)
- baking powder (1 1/2 tbsp)
- milk (2 cups)
- oil (3 tbsp)
- nutmeg (1 tbsp)
After gathering all the ingredients, this is how you make the pancakes:
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl: corn flow, salt, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and the nutmeg.
- Mix thoroughly, then slowly add the wet ingredients: eggs, vanilla, milk (your choice of milk), and the oil.
- Mix all the ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Heat up your pan, and add a little bit of oil.
- Pour your mixture, then wait for it to bubble before flipping.
- Once the side of the pancake that is facing you is bubbling, flip it.
- Once the pancake rises, it is time to take it off the heat.
- Repeat the steps until you have cooked all of your mixture.
- Put on a plate, then add the apple pie filling on top.
- Serve whilst hot.
There you have it, my very own gluten free pancakes with apple pie filling. Why gluten free, you ask? Well, one of my best buds here in Mexico is gluten intolerant…so yeah, sacrifice. Ha! Kidding!
But yeah, try it out for yourself and let me know how it goes by commenting below.
Have a great rest of your week, friends! As for me, I will be resting here in my little hostel room as I drool over these pancakes. Might make them again tomorrow, who knows? Cheers!
“The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.”
Nahum 1:7 NIV