So today is the day I turn 22, yay! More than two decades in this wonderful world. Who would have thought I would make it this far? Nobody really knows where our finish lines are but I have listen 22 things that I have learned in my 22 years of existence.
- You matter. I cannot highlight this enough. Everybody is going through different circumstances in life and whatever we do, whatever we say matter. Everyone of us matters–that is how life is.
- Strangers can become family too. I tend to be on the road a lot and sometimes I spend more time with people I meet than my own family. More often than not, travellers are some of the kindest, bravest, and most beautiful people you will get to meet in this lifetime. They can become your family away from home.
- Home doesn’t have to be where you are originally from. It is okay to not feel at ‘home’ in the place where you are originally from because we are our own person, and we are born to wander this world. We can always choose to move somewhere we feel we truly belong.
- Beauty comes in different forms. This world has come up with obnoxious beauty standards and sometimes we, normal people, just feel like we cannot catch up. But beauty is not limited–we can find beauty in every person, every place, and every circumstances. Beauty is a strong power.
- Pain is necessary. I have learned that pain is necessary the hard way. Pain is inevitable because if we cannot feel pain then we would not be able to appreciate the comforts and happiness that this life brings us.
- You can cut off toxic family members from your life. I have so many family members and sometimes, these people are the ones who tend to bring me down and point out my insecurities more. I tend to just cut off toxic family members from my life because I don’t need more negativity and we are not obligated to keep in touch with them, especially if they treat you badly.
- Travelling is good for the soul. I feel more alive and more at peace with my soul whenever I am on the road. It is such a great experience and gift to ourselves.
- Money cannot buy happiness. Some people may have all the money in the world but not all these people are happy. Sometimes, all we have is our friend’s company, a bottle of bear and a beautiful sunset and we are good to go. Happiness cannot be bought–it can only be achieved.
- It is okay to be lost. Everyone goes through life in our own pace. Getting lost is part of the process and it is a vital thing to go through with, I think. I have been lost countless times and every single time, I find more and more beautiful things about myself and this world.
- You can always start again. Failure is not the end of the line. Failing at something does not make us losers. What makes us losers is when we fail and we never get back up to start again. We can always start again, no matter how far we have come and no matter how old we are. I remember this quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald, “For what it’s worth…it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you’ve never felt before. I hope you meet people who have a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start over again.”
- You can always make new friends. Let’s face it, as we grow older we drift away from some of our old friends. That’s okay. It’s also okay to find new friends who you think will be a better fit for you and friends who is going to be good for your soul.
- Silence is not a form of weakness. A lot of people associate silence with weakness, but it is the opposite. We silence ourselves because we just do not want to deal with the drama and the sadness that some things bring into our lives. It is okay to be silent and it is not a form of weakness.
- It is good to try new things. I love trying out new things; food, places and experiences! I have eaten scorpions in Thailand, hiked a mountain in Taiwan and lived in the USA. I am still young and I have yet to try newer things and I am pretty excited as to where this road will take me.
- Love is a universal language. I don’t think I need to explain this because this sentence is pretty self explanatory. *wink*
- There is goodness in this world. No matter how many bad things happen in this world, there will always be goodness in it as well.
- You can take your time moving on. As I have said before, different people work in their own pace. Moving on is always easier said than done and I think that we can always take our time in doing it, as long as we don’t hurt other people in our process of healing.
- It is okay to love yourself. What a scary thought self love is. But if there is someone we should be focusing and loving more than others, that would be ourselves. Because how can we love other people if we don’t even love our own selves? The love we should be pouring into others is the overflowing love we give ourselves.
- Finding your place in this world is brave. We can always move and find our own place in this world. I am reminded by this quote by Rachel Wolchin, “If we were meant to stay in one place, we would have roots instead of feet.”
- You are your own person. Nobody can tell you otherwise.
- You can choose your own path. I know how our parents sometimes meddle with our decision making and with our lives, it’s because they love us and they care for us. But we can always tell them no. This is our life and we can choose to do whatever we want to do with it, as long as it is responsible and is good.
- You always have to be kind. Everybody in this life is facing a different battle, and the least we can do is be kind to everyone we get to encounter in our daily lives.
- God is all you need. In this life, people will leave us and they will hurt us. Sometimes, our own selves will fail us too. But I tell you that God is the only one that can never fail us no matter how many times we have failed Him in the past. We can always count on God because He cares for us and He loves us so much. Trust in Him and He will carry you through this life.
So there you have it. Well, this is my personal opinion so I am sure not all people will agree, so yeah. Another year has been given to me by the Lord and I intend to do more living and more learning!
I hope everyone is having a great day and thank you for sticking with me in everything that I post and share in my blog.
God bless, everyone!
“What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
Romans 8:31 NIV